I am a big fan of the grey’s anatomy series. So much so that I have not missed one single episode of it. So in one of the episodes Meredith grey (the lead character) while sipping on her morning coffee and getting ready for work says that she feels really happy and blessed with her life. She sees her kids and her husband, her perfect house and her perfect job, and she feels happy and blessed.
This got me wondering, how many people do feel like that. And what makes them feel happy and blessed? Is there any definition for happiness? What makes us feel blessed? What are the things that make us happy?
For some it might be family, for some money, maybe having friends, eating food, music, books, your dream job or maybe something else. So what is in these things that give us happiness?
I think it is not the things that make us happy. It is all about us looking beyond the imperfections in these things. The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have. Being happy doesn’t mean everything is perfect. It means, we have decided to look beyond the imperfections.
Happiness is a choice. Nothing will make us happy until we choose to be happy. Happiness doesn’t come to us, it comes from us. It is how much we enjoy that makes us happy, not how much and what we have.
Scientists have found that although our genes and circumstances matter, a huge proportion of the variations in happiness between us come from our choices and activities. So although we may not be able to change our inherited characteristics or the circumstances in which we find ourselves, we still have the power to change how happy we are – by the way we approach our lives.
WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE TO DO, MAKE SURE IT MAKES YOU HAPPY!
Here are few things that can make you happy:
- Stay busy. Enjoy what you do. Whatever you decide to do, do it with all your heart. Give it everything and that will surely make you happy.
- Live in the present. Forget what happened in the past, stop thinking about the future. Thinking about yesterday and tomorrow won’t make a difference. But today will. Get in tune with your feelings. Stop dwelling on the past and worrying about your future.
- Our relationships with other people matter a lot to our happiness. People with strong relationships live happier, healthier and longer. Our bonds with family and friends give us love, support, strength; they give meaning to our life. Make time for people who matter, for your loved ones and your friends.
- Don’t compare and be yourself. Stop being what others want you to be. Take care of yourself, your body. Make time for yourself. Our body and mind are connected. Be active. It keeps us healthier and happier. It uplifts our mood. Eat healthy, unplug yourself from your phones and TV and get enough sleep. Be comfortable with who you are.
- Get organized. Organizing everything in advance keeps you away from last-minute hassles and worries. When everything is in place, it keeps you calm and tension free.
- Think positive. Try and see the good in everything and everyone. Look beyond the negatives and imperfections. And that will definitely make you happy. Appreciate good things around you.
- Do things for others. Helping others not only makes the other person happy but also yourself. You feel content, calm and satisfied.
- Keep learning. Learning exposes us to new ideas. It keeps us curious and engaged. It boosts our self-confidence. Do something for the first time and see yourself beaming with joy.
- Have goals to look forward to. Goals motivate us to work towards them. Choose meaningful and achievable goals. There is nothing else that will give you a more satisfied feeling.
Don’t look forward to a perfect life but live a happy life. Don’t exist to impress others, exist to live your life in a way that makes you happy.